Saturday, October 30, 2010

~ Remember the Waltons?~

John Boy, Jim Bob, Mary Ellen, Ben….That program always gave me “warm fuzzies”. It was my very favorite and I couldn’t wait to curl up on the couch with a bowl of popcorn and my pillow. The family unity and closeness was warm and inviting, as well as wholesome and inspiring. Fast forward to the year 2010 and here I am living in a “modern-day Walton lifestyle”…
Our story begins last year when my daughter, Lindsey and I along with our husbands started kicking around the idea of a family compound on some acreage by the river…just talk and dreams at the time. In February of this year the economy forced us to combine households, as was lovingly modeled by a good friend and her daughter’s family. On moving weekend the comment was made that this will be a good ’test’ for our family compound. (Particularly since the house is 2 bedroom, 1600 sq. feet and there are 4 adults and “the little lady and gent“). Well time has passed and here we are at the end of October making plans to pool our money and buy a larger home.

My intent is not to bore you with all our family life but rather to encourage anyone who is considering this arrangement, regardless of reason, to pursue it. Each family will have their own set of challenges but for us it is a lifestyle we wish to continue. The blessings are too numerous to count.

We would love to hear from you on this topic. Have you experienced the 'Walton lifestyle' or do you know someone who has and what was the outcome? ~Jeannie

No comments:

Post a Comment